11 July 2006


sunny wintry melbourne city

Chris and flatmate Adrian did every thing possible to make the transition easy for me. We managed to catch the World Cup Finals at the airport before leaving. Dark horse Italy emerged as champs, much to my delight and prophecy since i am no big expert on soccer itself. The flight was smooth and so were the customs. Met a melbournite onboard which amused and inspired me by her artwork but kept me wide awake as well even though i downed a flu tablet to knock my senses out! My luggage arrived pregnant as ever, with no slips or spills on the seams. Those chinese herbs and ginseng slipped through like water, and the burly aussie officers giving little problems to the perceived soil on my shoes, remnants of my last few runs along rural Singapore (check Pentecost).

These pictures speak for themselves. My nose is fine and so is my skin. Your prayers must have worked becoz my sinus will be awashed in waterfall and skin would flake like crust in past winter experiences. My window of my 9th floor living room opens out to the sunset each evening. This is a long holiday for me. Can't believe i am not even keen to explore the city. Sleeping late, experimental cooking, cleaning the kitchen sinks, floorboards and rooms (much to Adrian's delight) and doing up all that is possible to make this a fresh habitat for the soul. Uni of Melbourne is just a street away but i am in no hurry to step on it. Constance will arrive this Thurs and we'll spend friday selecting the courses and settling with the university.

Banking, internet, mobile, rental, asian condiments, how stoves work, voltage, the winer blast, prayer and silence, first Mass at St Francis', reviewing SAF SOP aka houserules with Adrian, our fav. teochew mueh and teochew language, late night grocery shopping (to take in the discounts), expensive vegetables and first stirrings of wanting to cook artichoke (whoever said they were cheap!), warm morsals of vietnamese food (thanks for the treat Deacon Thinh!), laughter, home-cooked dinner with sardines, stir-fry kailan, braised pork neck and pumpkin at 8pm, easy honest company, cheap local red wine and friendship's fidelity...i'm happy and settled already...

To my brothers in common faith...Adrian, Thinh and Chris, Thank you.


p/s: my ex tenant has since been evicted from his room because of unruly behaviour...i shall spend this day infusing this empty space. watch this column for more updates... he he he

1 comment:

hannah said...

hi mr koh, sounds like u are doing well over there. that's good... know that you are in my prayers so email whenever u got a prayer request ok?

and have fun yea? melb looks really interesting.. makes me wanna go there for exchange!

take care~! :)

laykwan