28 April 2008

pivotal passages

A relationship travelling only on the stream of remarkable experiences never reaches the stable shores of faithful love. Without the dreadful night of suffering from absence, faithful friendship remains an unknown land. We have to miss a certain friend badly a few times before we can discover who this friend really is.
* * * * * *


What I am really looking for, the person of my beloved with his or her feelings, longings and uniqueness, or my experience of the beloved? Am I looking for my spouse or am I looking for an erotic sensation? Am I looking for God, or am I seeking purely my devotion, a key spiritual rest or my psychological well-being? Am I seeking the other, or am I seeking my experience? If the latter is true, I may indeed speak of love, but what I am looking for is myself.

herwig arts sj : With Your Whole Soul: the Christian Experience of God








No comments: