23 January 2007


Love is so short,
forgetting is so long
pablo neruda (1904-1973)

------------------------------------------------------
And it was at that age...Poetry arrived
in search of me. I don't know, I don't know where
it came from, from winter or a river.
I don't know how or when,
no, they were not voices, they were not
words, nor silence,
but from a street I was summoned,
from the branches of night,
abruptly from the others,
among violent fires
or returning alone,
there I was without a face
and it touched me.

I did not know what to say, my mouth
had no way
with names,
my eyes were blind,
and something started in my soul,
fever or forgotten wings,
and I made my own way,
deciphering
that fire...
the winding light, the universe.

And I,
drunk with the great starry
void,
likeness, image of
mystery,
felt myself a pure part
of the abyss,
I wheeled with the stars,
my heart broke loose on the wind.

translated by alastair reid
------------------------------------------
to other letters and pictures:
vine & branches, novena church (1989 - 1994)
catholic students' society, nus (1995-1999)




No comments: