9 November 2006


Bear by boey kim cheng

My daughter's teddy bear,
smuggled into our bed when she stole
into our sleep in the hour
when she is all on her own
fending off the wild things.
What a snug fit, the two between
my wife and me. How a child's sleeping face
marries all in its peace.

I remember my childhood bear;
it was a coarser fur, browner, but like hers
and most other bears, China-made.
My father won it shooting bottles
at a booth in Great or Happy World,
those fairs of dizzy rides and shows
that lasted the whole of your childhood
and have exited into the country's past.
I sat it, walked it, bedded and hugged
it like a raft in the stormy winds
of my parent's quarrels. When
my father left, Bear held faint promise
that he would come back,
and be sensible like Bear.

Year by year, Bear and I waited; the stitches
came undone, the fur shedding
to reveal fibre padding, Bear rubbed
bare to its bones, the limbs that wound
round and round dislocated. Soon
the brown glass eyes were hanging
by a tenuous thread, then gone.
Still I kept him by my side
hoping that things would be
once again whole.

My mother threw him out
in one of those removals,
lost with my father in
the endless migrations of childhood.
It waits now in a heaven
of dislocated things
like my father.

8 comments:

hannah said...

hello mr koh,

just to let u know i ripped the bear picture. simply irresistable!

(under the influence of this korean show whose male lead has a cute bear..)

okay, mug mug mug.....

---------------------------------------------- said...

go ahead and rip the pic!
but hey... would have liked to 'rip' abit of your thoughts on the poem too! Don't miss the forest for a tree...

kohkoh.mr

Hannah said...

(disclaimer: the following comments are completely lacking in literary critiquing sensibilities.)
-

i had a Bear too.
:(

bkc still makes me sad you know. the other poem too. 'disappeared'.

mr koh ah... how bout a happycheerful poem. hurhur.
do those exist anyway.

---------------------------------------------- said...

maybe the point isn't whether a poem ought to be 'happy', 'cheerful' or 'sad' but the extent to which it is willing to speak its truth bravely, simply and unconditionally...

Hannah said...

mr kohhh.. you express it perfectly (of course).
but anyway.. i was just commenting la. haha.. my 'lit brain' has been lying dormant for almost a year now, so do forgive the regression. heh =P

rpd said...

mr koh you're still the same inside.. (: [and are you going to come up with a lit-ish answer for this too?]

still keeping in touch with you, albeit rather one-way through this blog. it's hard not to, i think, when you've been an influence in my life.

anyhow, i just wanted to say that i chose to do bkc for one of my lit modules... 'the planners'. i'm doing it in my irony module. heh. are you amazed? that i'm attempting to link 'the planners' with irony. shrug. i just wanted to do bkc. must be some pervasive idiology. would you like to read when i'm done? you must be prepared for how far i've fallen though..

i forgot what else i wanted to say.

take care though. :)


rach

hannah said...

that would come soon...after the exams? i promise..

Dr.S.A gave me a B- for my paper. you know what she said? she said initially the paper was promising, it would have been B+ but i seem to have gotten lost somewhere after that... and she said i got ability and asked me not to doubt myself..

i always doubt myself right?

i dunno why also...

but dun worry, i'll get back to that in-the-zone state soon..

---------------------------------------------- said...

hi laykwan,

read thru'your report - its syncretic NOT synthetic religions!!! How could your geog lecturer miss out on such a fatal conceptual flaw!!!??? Correct the error now! Btw, qualitative research would have given you a broader range of data frequently bypassed or worse, ignored in survey analysis. This is the typical framework adopted by human geog folks. I don't blame you. Hail, hail Anthro then!

Rachel, try Stevie Smith, Tom Gunn or WH Auden. They are masters of irony...

Hannah, i will cast a brighter beam of light on a newer poem soon...keep vigil...

kohkoh.mr